By Dan Kane
The 2022 US Pylon Nationals is about to start. I have been in Muncie for the past 14 days working the World Championships (WC) and I am ready to get some flying in for myself.
AMA looks forward to hosting a fun and safe Nats this year at the International Aeromodeling Center (IAC)! Today, we have new developments to announce for Nats 2020.
Although some Special Interest Groups such as NFFS, NSRCA, IMAC, and NASA are not participating in Nats this year, the Executive Council's vote on 6/10 did not officially cancel those particular events. Other contest directors have approached AMA and are being considered to manage those events during Nats. You are welcome to register for any Nats event up through 06/26, but if an event organizer or contest director does not step up to host your particular event, AMA will fully refund your money and not host that portion of the Nats.
The following message is from Dave Lindley, president of the National Free Flight Society (NFFS):
It is with great regret, that AMA and NFFS today announce that the current COVID-19 pandemic has forced the cancellation of the Outdoor Free Flight Nats scheduled for July 27-31, 2020, in Muncie, Indiana. We do not anticipate that there will be a rescheduling of this event in 2020. Anyone that had already registered WILL be refunded 100% by AMA automatically.
After careful deliberation, the AMA Executive Council has agreed to not cancel the 2020 Outdoor Nats. This decision is aligned with state and federal guidelines for events concerning COVID-19.
The 2020 AMA Nats will take place to the extent that individual Nats organizers plan and conduct their respective events. Additional safety measures will be in place to protect our members, staff, and community. Nats participants and visitors to the International Aeromdeling Center will have limited access to AMA facilities and should anticipate a scaled-back Nats experience.
As AMA continues to plan and prepare for the Outdoor Nats in July and August, we understand that our June 10, “go” or “no go” deadline is leaving participating waiting until that time to register for their events. Due to this timeline, we are extending the deadline for Nats registration to June 12.
As always, please contact your Nats CD or SIG if you have questions or concerns about your event. AMA will also be available to field questions as well using the contacts below.
Thank you and stay safe!
As you might be aware, AMA and the National Free Flight Society made the difficult decision to cancel May’s Indoor Nats because of COVID-19. Many members are wondering if the Outdoor Nats will be canceled as well. AMA continues to plan and prepare for the Outdoor Nats in July and August, including discussions about extra sanitation. We’ll share any changes or announcements as soon as they are made. June 10 is the final “go,” “no go” date.
It is with great regret, that AMA and National Free Flight Society (NFFS) today announce that the current COVID-19 pandemic has forced the cancellation of the Indoor Nats scheduled for May 27-31, 2020 in Eagar, Arizona. We do not anticipate that there will be a rescheduling of this event in 2020. Anyone that had already registered will be refunded 100% by AMA automatically.
Obviously, the health and safety of contestants is our primary concern and we will absolutely abide by all federal, state and local guidelines.